Kawhia School - Te Kura o Kawhia - Kaua e mutu kere noa iho

Search   

School Information

ENROLMENT/REHITA

All enrolments are actioned at the school office. You will be asked to provide the names and phone numbers for two 'emergency contacts'. These could be a neighbour/friend/relation to whom you give permission to look after your child if s/he was not able to remain at school (eg illness) and we could not contact you. Please ensure they have agreed to be emergency contacts. The office will need to be informed of any change in contact names or phone numbers.

HOURS/NGA HAORA

The hours of schooling will be from 9am to 3pm with a 45 minute break at 11.15am and a 30 minute break at 1.30pm

Last day of the week - The lunch hour is shortened to half an hour with school finishing at 2.30pm (normally Fridays but could be a different day eg upcoming holiday)

Wet days - There are no wet days - school hours remain the same.

In the interest of safety for students it is expected that they go straight home after school unless alternative arrangements have been made, and these are known to both parent and child.

LUNCHES/KAI RANUI

Students having lunch at school are not to leave the grounds at lunchtime without a staff member's permission. Lunches may be ordered at the school. Please place money in an envelope and clearly identify on the outside child's name and room number. Envelopes must be handed in to the office by 9am.

Our lunch list is below. We have a new healthy menu and system. Please order your child's lunch by the number listed from #1-7 daily (Wed-Fri) Numbers 8-13 available only on Fridays.

SCHOOL LUNCH PRICE LIST

#

Available Monday-Friday

1. 

Pizza & yoghurt 

$4.00 

2.

Pizza & piece of fruit

$4.00 

3.

Ham Salad Filled Roll

$4.00

4.

Juice (no added sugar)

$1.80 

5.

Milk - 300ml

$1.30 

6.

Flavoured Milk

(chocolate, strawberry, banana)

$1.80 

7.

8.

Yoghurt 

Mini Muffins

$1.30

$1.50 

Available Friday Only - as above plus...

9.

Hot Dog 

$3.00 

10.

Hot Chips 

$2.20 

11.

Pie 

$3.00

12.

Chicken Nuggets 

.80

13.

Fish Roll (no salad)

$3.50 

14.

15.

Tomato Sauce 

Tartare Sauce

.50

.50

HEALTH CHECKS/TIROHANGA ORANGA

Our Public Health & District Nurse visits the school regularly. Five year old students are given a routine health check by the Health Nurse if required or requested. Parents are advised and required to be present.

Year 7 (Form 1) immunisation programme is completed yearly.

The school is notified of visits by Community Health staff qualified to test hearing and vision. Parents are notified through newsletters and invited to make referrals.

If parents have any concerns regarding the health of their child please contact the classroom teacher.

DENTAL TREATMENT/WHAKAPAI NIHO

The mobile dental clinic comes to Kawhia annually. Parents are responsible for taking their children to the appointments, which are off site. A smaller unit will also come at a different time of the year for preventative treatment only. 

Phone 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825 583 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0800 825 583 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting).

HEADLICE/RIHARIHA

Recurring headlice can be a problem at times. Information regarding treatment is available from the school office or from the Kawhia Health Centre Ph 871 0884.

Thanks to KidsCan, we also have free treatment and combs available from the school office. 

ACCIDENTS AT SCHOOL/WHARATANGA

Playgrounds are supervised by staff at morning break and lunchtime. Should a situation arise where medical advice is required, the Parent/Caregiver or noimcated contact will be informed as soon as possible.

Please keep alternative contact numbers up-to-date

ABSENCES/NGA KORENGA

For safety reasons we would ask you to ring the school if, for any reason, your child is unable to attand. The Attendance Officer will contact Parents/Caregivers if the school office is not notified. Parents/Caregivers are responsible for ensuring their child/ren's regular and punctual attendance at school.

BICYCLES/PAIHIKARA

The Ministry of Transport recommends that children should be 8 years old before they ride their bikes to and from school.

Helmets MUST be worn.

BUS/PAHI

Students living past Lake Road may be eligible to be transported to school on the school bus. At the time of enrolment we will discuss eligibility. It is our policy to send the child on the bus as usual unless we have received a note or phone call from a Parent/Caregiver authorising the change. Please note that on Manual days (every second Wednesday), the bus will arrive approximately half an hour earlier than usual.

Students will be picked up from the school at 3.30pm daily except on Fridays when they will be collected at 3.00pm.

COLLECTING FROM SCHOOL/TANGOHIA I TE KURA

It is essential that children are in no doubt about home time arrangements. Please try to keep these constant and ensure that Junior students have an adult or responsible older child to accompany them home.

MONEY/PUTEA MONI

All money coming into the school must be taken to the office unless you are notified of alternative arrangments.

STATIONERY/PUKAPUKA

A full list of stationery needs are provided when a child is enrolled and for each new year. The school does not sell stationery. Please ensure your child has all the stationery and school equipment needed.

TOYS/TAONGA KORI

While we know children are attached to certain toys and want to show them to their friends, we cannot ensure the security of prized possessions. Please keep toys at home, insafety. Personal items "arriving" at school may be collected from the Office at 3pm by children accompanied by a parent/caregiver.

LOST PROPERTY/TAONGA NGARO

Naming clothes is the only sure way of lost property returning to missing owners. Unclaimed articles will be displayed in the last week of each term. If unclaimed they will be disposed of.

ASSEMBLY/WHAKHUIHUI

Full school assemblies are held every  Friday after lunch. Parents/Caregivers/friends/relations are very welcome to attend.

THE CLASSROOMS/NGA RUMA AKO

It is school policy that classrooms are open to parents/caregivers throughout the school day.

The classrooms welcome parents who come to work alongside teachers in support of all children.

Please contact the class teacher if you would like to visit.

HOMEWORK/MAHI O TE KAINGA

We invite the parents to support the children in any work they bring home.

SWIMMING/KAUKAU

The swimming programme is taken during the warmer months.

Please let us know in writing if your child is unable to swim for health reasons - children must swim regularly if they are to make progress.

COMPUTING/ROROHIKO

All classes have direct access to computers and the internet. These, and appropriate programmes, are in constant use within classrooms. They offer students practice of known skills, recording opportunities and challenging programmes involving all areas of the curriculum. Students are required to sign computer and internet user agreements.

COMMUNICATIONS/WHAKAKOREROTIA

Every effort is made to keep parents informed about what is happening in the school. Fortnightly newsletters will offer information and highlight school programmes and student achievement. Although we have an open door policy we encourage Parents/Caregivers to make an interview time to discuss children's programmes. Please contact the Office.

If you would prefer to receive the newsletter by email, please let the Office know.

MANUAL/TECHNOLOGY

Year 7 and 8 (F1 and F2) students attend Manual/Technology at Otorohanga South School every second Wednesday and there is a charge per year for basic requirements. This money is paid to the School Office and is forwarded to Otorohanga South School.

MAORI LANGUAGE/TE REO MAORI

As in other schools throughout New Zealand all pupils receive instruction in the Maori language and culture. We have two classes at Level 3 immersion and one class at Level 2.

SMOKING/KAI HIKARETI

A required by law, Kawhia School is a smokefree zone. We thank Parents/Caregivers and visitors for their co-operation with this matter.

REPORTING TO PARENTS/RIPOTA KI NGA MAATUA

Written reports are sent home twice a year. ParentTeacher conversations are held in Term 2. Parents/Caregivers are urged to share any information or concerns with the teachers as they arise throughout the year.

THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES

The Board meets each month. Meeting dates and times are regularly advertised in the school newsletter. These meetings are held in the School Staffroom.

THE BOARD WELCOMES PARENTS WHO WANT TO WORK IN PARTNERSHIP AND IN SUPPORT OF ALL STAFF AND STUDENTS.

Board Members 2017:

Carey Thom (Chairperson)

Leanne Lim-Apiti (Principal)

Robyn Vincent (Staff Representative)

Callan Stewart

Aaron Greenbank

Tineke Maoate

BOT minute taker: Lisa Panapa